Friday, September 01, 2006

KD3


High Roller

a response to KD3 by Kate Durrough


clockwise counterclockwise
I play hard with the best of them
I deal in time and how quickly it passes.
All the tricks are in my repertoire
some you’ve never heard of.

Don’t show your hand I won’t show mine.
It goes without. Concentration’s everything.
Give nothing away if you can help it.
This Blind Hookey never could see all your faces.

I’ve stacked the deck as carefully as possible
all the aces, everything is on my sleeve.
Once I wore a nearly perfect poker face.
Now the tiniest of royal flushes might
just give the lie so hurry up.

Shuffle up and deal Wizard
Liar’s Poker, Patience, Shanghai Rum
anything that takes your fancy.
I can wait but not that long.

You could win a Cadillac tonight.
Hot pink illusion. Not your average getaway.
I wonder if you’ve guessed that I’m the prize.
Would you cash your chips in for the real thing.

Go Fish and win at least enough
for us to run away together
South America, the Riviera, good old Vegas.
I would settle anywhere for Happy Families.
Drop out of sight as long as I shine in your eyes.
It’s far too early yet for Sunset Strip
Old Maid.

Carolyne Bruyn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home